Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Schooled


A couple months ago we were at the park with the girls.  Olivia tends to go and set right next to other adults {strangers} that are there and just stare at them or lean in on their leg.  Awkward yes...but this park trip she was following a bunch of older kids around.  She was going through a phase where she was either acting like a dog or cat.  Today it was a cat.  I walked over to where they were to make sure that she wasn't bugging them.  She was meowing and licking her hand when a boy said "Hello little cat, Please don't go by my dad.  He is allergic!"  The girl next to him said, "She is not a cat!"  The boy then responded, "I know that!"  Oh I wanted to run up to him and give him a great big hug, knocking that girl down on my way there!  He understood Olivia and I was thankful he didn't look at her and give that awkward smile that so many other people do.

Last week Olivia started her preschool.  She is going for a couple of Social delays that she has.  It has been a learning experience to see where I really am at on the scale of caring what other people think.  Livi has never been "ahead" of the game in mental development and I've had a hard time not getting embarrassed when she's not talking or interacting as well as the kids her age.   I'm thankful for it in the sense that I have been able to focus on things that really matter, like her kindness, sensitivity, and her happy demeanor.  I just never want her to get her feeling hurt but I know it is not realistic.  It will be good for both of us to work through the pain that comes with making friends and figuring out who you are.







First day on the bus!  She looks only slightly terrified!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been meaning to tell you...Olivia is on Kyron's bus. So I see her in the mornings. She is so cute. She talks non-stop to the bus driver (at lease during the entire stop I see her). It's adorable. He's cute with her too, answering all her questions. The first day...she was talking about how fast Kyron came out to the bus. Then she was talking about the doll this other girl had on the bus. She is so stinkin' cute. Anyway, EMECEC will be great for her. I find more people are curious about helping and being involved with improvement than judgement of delays...hopefully that'll be your experience too. anyway, just wanted you to know that she's well adjusted to being on a bus! *smiles*

jandd said...

she's so sweet....love the picture of her on the bus....she does look a bit terrified!

Alicia W said...

Elilie has been a dog phase as well. If random licking is a sign, then we are going to have to follow suit.